Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Lime Tart

I stumbled on a cookie recipe in one of my old Martha Stewart “Living” magazines.  This recipe featured lime, not exactly a typical cookie ingredient.  My mind jumped back in time to some excellent key lime fudge I had years ago in a candy shop in St. Augustine, FL.  With memories of that sweet and tart confection coming back to me, I decided to try this recipe.  To simplify the process and save time, I a made a tart instead of cookies.  I loved it.  Despite the cold wintry weather, this tart brought me back to that hot summer day in St. Augustine when I first tried key lime fudge.
 
Key lime tart
 
Ingredients for the tart shell
2 sticks of unsalted butter
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour  
 
key lime tart - ingredients
 
To make the dough, cream the butter and sugar in a mixer until it is pale and fluffy.  Add vanilla and the egg yolks, and beat for an additional minute.   
Key lime tart, dough - making process
 
Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and add the flour and continue beating until the flour is incorporated.  
 
Key lime tart, dough ready for refrigeration
 
Move the dough to a smaller bowl, and cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for about two hours. 
Remove the dough from the refrigerator and flour well on both sides. Flatten with a rolling pin.  
 
Work the dough into a 9 inch tart shell.  Cut the dough around the edge of the tart shell so it will be flush.  Put the tart shell into the freezer until the dough is well chilled, for about half an hour.  This is an important part of the process, so do not get in a hurry and skip this step. 
Key lime tart, making tart shell
 
While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 
Remove tart shell from the freezer, and prick the bottom of the shell with a fork.  Bake in the preheated oven for ten minutes. 
Key lime tart, custard ingredients
 
Ingredients for the tart filling 
 
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon lime zest
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
 
Key lime tart - custard
 
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, flour, lime juice and lime zest. 
Key lime tart before baking
 
Pour the egg and lime mixture into the pre-baked tart shell and bake for 25 minutes.   
Key lime tart
 
When done, remove and cool on a wire rack. 

If you wish, you can sprinkle powdered sugar on the top of the tart and decorate with thin lime slices. 
Key lime tart

Inspired by a recipe from Martha Stewart’s “Living” magazine, from December 2008.

This tart met all my expectations.  Its crunchy crust and creamy lime filling makes this a dessert I will bake often. 

If you bake this, please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi.
    I would like to bake this but before I do I have one question: how many grams of butter do you use for the dough? They only sell blocks of 250grams here and I was wondering if that is enough or too much?

    Thank you.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, thanks for visiting my blog. One block will be a little too much. One stick of butter has 113 grams, so you will need 1 block of butter minus about 10%, it will be about 226 grams of butter. Good luck with baking this tart.

      Merry Christmas.
      Izabella

      Delete
    2. Hi!
      thank you for the answer.
      Happy holidays
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete